Claim Your 80s Inheritance Now

My day has been completely hijacked. I discovered a website offering dozens of free remixes and covers of 80s pop songs, all done by acclaimed new acts. I’m not sure whether you’ve already been acquainted with http://www.buffetlibredjs.net/ but it’s intolerably cool.
My late maths teacher at school once told me that the 80s was a terrible decade for music, that although industry masterminds have scraped together some pretty good box sets, living through the actual ten year period itself was often god-awful. Whether this is true or not I am uncertain, but it doesn’t really matter – Our generation rocked up on planet earth towards the end of the 80s and simply grew up to inherit all the musical gold.
So far my favourites are:


Rick AstleyNever Gonna Give You Up (Baby Diamonds Remix)
How the f*ck somebody managed to make this cringeworthy gingery disco nut sound fresh, dark and sexually alluring is beyond me. Baby Diamonds turn Rick Astley from someone who still lives with his mum into somebody who beds other people’s mums.
Melnyk- Deal With God (Kate Bush Cover)
You can never have enough Kate Bush covers. We all know it’s impossible to conquer the original, but that doesn’t mean we can’t all enjoy flexing around the kitchen in a glittery cat suit soaking up an electro tribute for a few minutes every morning.
Starfucker - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Crack open a bud, these chilled guys from Portland bring a laidback progressive surfer feel to Cyndi’s biggest hit.
New Kids On The Block - Step by Step (The Requesters Remix)
Seriously. Trust Me. Just download this song and turn it UP. You’ll feel like suddenly you’re tripping in the middle of a 5000voltz Fanta commercial.

The Jack of Hearts is currently the official blog of Jack Cullen

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, what an amazing find, thank you! I feel like I'm back at the third year dance in the school dining room. I have downloaded the zip file and will listen to nothing else for days.

    Must express my appreciation for the Falco track! He was tragically taken from us 10 years ago in a terrible road accident, probably due to something affecting his state of mind at the time - "Kokain und Kodein, Heroin und Mozambin machen uns hin, hin, hin" A true role model. Great to see his music lives on!

    ReplyDelete