Reading By Kindle Light



I was thrilled to receive my antique book cover style Kindle4 case this morning. Check it out! The cases are handmade in Hampshire by a family firm called Manor Bindery and they only set you back about £25.

Originally I planned to buy myself a metallic leopard print Diane Von Furstenberg Kindle cover, but she wasn't selling them in her Mayfair store, nor was she selling them in her Wimbledon store. The DVH shop assistant TOLD ME TO TRY THE NEDERLANDS and quite frankly I haven't got the time to chase Diane and her fashionable literary accesssories around the globe.

Then I discovered this Hampshire family who make beskoke antique book jackets for Kindle4 and my quest was over. They even gift-wrapped the case and sent me a beautiful hand-written note with the purchase -


They do all sorts of different book covers but I chose Bram Stoker's Dracula because it's a gorgeous silvery blue, and of course Bram Stoker was a fantastic psycho-sexual author. Dracula is just pumping with homoerotic subtexts and various explorations of same-sex fascination. As 21st century readers with the privilege of hindsight and posthumous closet-smashing we now know that Bram Stoker wrote confessional gay letters to the American poet Walt Whitman and he was also infatuated with the gay stage actor Henry Irving and the Soho underworld of  the late 19th century. In fact the vampire genre, like the pirate genre, is an almost exclusively homosexual circle of texts but of course future generations will possibly forget this thanks to the bludgeoning box office of heterosessed (yet inexplicably gay) Hollywood and the likes of Kristen frying-pan-face Stewart. Still, they'll have Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt in Interview With The Vampire to serve as a reminder, although even that movie was a depressingly flattened heterosessed rendition of Anne Rice's gay sex packed novel.

What was I talking about?

Oh yeah. What I love about KleverCase's Kindle covers is that you can slide your Kindle into a bookcase and disguise it as a book!

I must admit I haven't quite got into my Kindle yet. I still have a stack of retro paper books lined up to read, but I do like the fact that you can email documents to Kindles. If you write poetry or fiction and would like to email it to me on my Kindle then please do give me a shout on Twitter @jackcullenuk. I'd love to read your stuff.

KleverCases are available on http://www.manorbindery.co.uk/

1 comment:

  1. Whats up very nice blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionallyกKI'm satisfied to search out so many helpful information here in the submit, we'd like work out more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .
    Pedigree Jumbone Mini Snack Food for Toy/Small Dogs, 10-Count Bones (Pack of 12)

    ReplyDelete